Re: gdm bug report

>>>>> "Nathan" == Smith, Nathan A , Capt <smithna@Comanche.plk.af.mil> writes:

Nathan> 1.  For some reason the DISPLAY variable is unset when running
Nathan>     gdm (causing programs like linuxconf, dctrl (part of
Nathan>     diald), and others to fail to connect to the display)

I have never seen this.

Could you please mail me your gdm.conf?

Nathan> 2.  Terminals fail to close completely on 'exit'.  I have
Nathan>     found this mostly with Eterm (I am running E).

Define ``close completely''...

Nathan> 3. I still can't get gdm to notice all the user accounts I
Nathan>    have setup on my system (it only shows root!!).

Are you by any chance running shadow?

Nathan> BTW - what are PreRoot and PostRoot to be used for (I figured
Nathan> out Init - it's really nice to be able to add a background and
Nathan> run xripple like xdm)

PreRoot and PostRoot are executed by root before the user logs in and
after he logs out. They are intended for user session accounting,
running local setup programs etc.

Nathan> 4. gdm never dies -- this means that programs that are started
Nathan>    using the Init script never die (I want xripple to run in
Nathan>    gdm, but not in my windowmanger -- using PostRoot [thinking
Nathan>    this might be where we kill processes doesn't work])

Ok, this is a thinko on my part. I'll make gdmslave kill all programs
started by the Init-script when the user session begins..

--
Martin Kasper Petersen			BOFH, IC1&2, Aalborg University, DK
mailto:mkp@SunSITE.auc.dk		http://www.socsci.auc.dk/~mkp/