Re: A Few Ideas

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998 04:10:29 Marcus Brubaker wrote:
> > I've been running GNOME 0.20 on Red Hat Linux 5.1 for
> > over a month, and I came up with some ideas, listed below.
>
> You should really try to upgrade to 0.27 for one...
>
> > 1.  Add the ability to run programs as processes
> >     under other user names, like "root" from another
> >     account.  A right-button click over a program
> >     icon could bring up dialog to specify the user
> >     and password.
>
> An interesting idea.  This could be useful at times, but I, personally,
> would just as well su from an Eterm and run my program.

I you have gsu install (not built by defualt, security risk) you
can setup a nice little panel menu item to run a cmd like ...

xhost +;gsu -c grpm

You get a dialog asking for the root password. If entered correctly
the program starts, otherwise it doesn't. Of course if you are concerned
about security don't do it :)

Reklaw - I code therefore I need gin and sprite.
GNOME software projects - Pharmacy * gnome-standalone
http://home.earthlink.net/~nawalker/