Re: gnome-terminal idea

On Wed, Sep 23, 1998 at 03:04:45PM -0400, Tim Moore wrote:
> > in this case .. it's NOT the case ... I for one am using a wm without a
> > taskbar .. and I don't really like taskbars ... so I would like the
> > mdi as a notebook ... I bet tehre are a lot of people that don't use
> > taskbars ... or that find the tabs better then a taskbar ....
>
> So, hypothetically, if your window manager supported the BeOS-inspired
> docking tabs interface, would you prefer that or the GNOME notebook and
> why?

hypothetically yeah .... however ... I might still like a windowmanager
that doesn't because I like that one better .... for example I might like
twm and all it's features better and twm doesn't support it

notebook based MDI takes basically isn't really bloat so why eliminate
it ....

> Are 10 tabs really more manageable than 12 taskbar buttons? And what if I
> have 20 browser windows open and no other apps on the desktop (which I
> sometimes do)? The problem has shifted from a cluttered taskbar to a
> cluttered row of tabs!

no I said 3 tabs and 3 tabs and maybe 5 and 5 tabs ... I can have files
in one directory in one window with a notebook .... etc ....

I can have mail news and irc in one xterm mdi and just switch between them
... I can be in the cvs dir in different dirs in a different term ... etc...

I'm not saying I would neccessairly have ONE window for ALL my apps ...

however if you've ever used screen you'll know how much that kind of
"mdi" style is supperior in terms of "speed" of use to overlaping xterms

it would also be much nicer to use if the xterm supported it natively
such as with the gnome-mdi (and you'd always have the option to create
separate windows from different views)

> source and the C source aren't really related in my mind. I care about
> what I'm trying to do.

so keep them in separate windows ... hoever I bet your program has more
sources ... say 20 files .... wouldn't it be nicer had they been cleanly
in one window rather then polluting your task bar for switching between
thewindow with your web page files and teh window with your c sources

however ... if any of this depends on the WM, then we got a problem with
gnome being wm independent for full functionality

George