very basic autogen problem with newest gnome-{libs,core}

When I type:
./autogen.sh

I get:
./autogen.sh: ./macros/autogen.sh: No such file or directory

I get the same thing trying to run the autogen.sh in 'gnome-core'

As far as I can tell, this is because my gnome-libs directory doesn't
contain the macros directory that it should. Neiter does my gnome-core
directory. When I explicitly tell autogen.sh to source the
'../macros/autogen.sh' file, I get a ton of errors.

Any idea on how I can fix this/what my problem is?

Thanks,

--Eric Guenterberg