trouble with E-sound and enlightenment/programs

E-sound prevents ANY other program from launching, including
enlightenment.  I have just updated all my RPMS, and thought that maybe
I should compile esd from scratch, but this hasn't helped either.

when I execute esd and then attempt to execute another program, the
program appears to be loaded into memory and shows up on the process
list, but gets no farther.  this only appears to be true for X
applications.

any help?
--
- The Hitchhiker

"The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false.  The opposite of a
great truth is also true."
				-Neils Bohr