Re: SaveYourself command?????

In message <Pine.LNX.4.10.9904051108160.10487-100000@zoll.albany.eypae.c
om>, Gleef <dzol@virtual-yellow.com> writes

>On Fri, 2 Apr 1999, Nils Jeppe wrote:
>> Hello, I just got a little dialog that says:
>>
>> panel --sm-config-prefix /panel.d/Session-a17900/
>>
>> No response to the SaveYourself command. The program may be slow, stopped
>> or broken. You may wait for it to respond or remove it.
>>
>> What's this supposed to mean?
>>
>> It has happened about 2-3 times today, and never befor.
>
>Gnome-session periodially sends a "SaveYourself" signal to all of the
>programs it tracks (including panel).  It waits a certain length of time
>for a response, and puts up the dialog you described if it doesn't get
>one in time.  It might have not gotten one because your program crashed
>(in which case you would remove it), your machine is slow, or, in the case
>of the panel, some applet is messing with operation (for example, I get
>the message when I trace an applet with gdb).

I just got this one myself. It was the first time I'd run gnome on this
installation, and I hadn't got past clicking the gnome foot, then
opening the Settings menu and was hovering over the entries; bang it
came up. Didn't have time to run anything else! My machine is pretty
fast (K6-2 300Mhz 64Mb RAM).

I suggest it does indeed need tweaking.

--
James Green