Re: Why Gnome RPMS need to work with RH 5.2

Hall wrote:
> If you got your gnome packages from RedHat's Starbuck ftp site, yes, those
> do require glibc2.1.

I've run into the same problem when wanting to upgrade to the latest
linuxconf.  It too requires glibc2.1.  If I upgrade to glibc2.1, I
probably can get the latest GNOME and linuxconf packages to work but
I'll probably break a lot of other stuff.

I thought that linux could have multiple versions of the same library.
Shouldn't glibc2.1 have it own linked files instead of picking on
libc.so.6 -or- is glibc2.1 fully backward compatible and I'm worried
over nothing?

-Eric Wood