Oh God I've killed my panel.

After editing my system menu as root (I was changing the icon for the
Run Program... menu item), I found that the whole menu had disappeared
from the "foot" launcher. Then the panel disappeared. Not unusual for
the panel to crash when using the Menu Editor, I thought, so I
Ctrl-Alt-Backspaced out of X and started it again. No panel. When I
tried running another panel from a terminal, it either core dumped
straight away or came up with the "there's another panel running, run
anyway?" message and then core dumped when I hit Yes. I removed
gnome-session from my .xinitrc and replaced it with wm2, and deleted my
~/.gnome/session file. I started X again, but still couldn't get the
panel to run. I tried logging in as a normal user and running either
gnome-session or wm2, but the panel still core dumped. I'm guessing
there's a shared config file somewhere which has been corrupted, but I
can't find anything useful. I can get GNOME to start the default
session, and gmc starts fine, but the panel doesn't come up. Has anyone
seen this before or do I have to reinstall gnome-core?

Oh, while I'm on the subject of changing menu icons, is there any way to
select "no icon" for an item which has once had an icon?

 - Michael Rogers