RE: Why Gnome RPMS need to work with RH 5.2

> I think that the problem of incompatible binaries from
> gcc & egcs is beginning to get a little bit silly.
Hmmm? I've got binaries all over my system, gcc 2.7.2.3, gcc
2.8.1, and pgcc 1.1.1; no problems.

> Does anyone know the situation relating to merging the
> egcs modifications back into the gcc source tree?
My personal opinion is that gcc is dead. 2.7.2.3 has "known
issues" with simply being a rather broken compiler in many
ways, 2.8.1 is buggy as all heck, and we haven't seen new
versions for a loooong time. The egcs group has a standing
invitation to FSF/GNU to merge these things back into
gcc--that's their purpose in life. It just seems that the
offer isn't being accepted.

Now, of course, FSF seems to release some things at a very
slow rate, so maybe 2.9 will be out in a year or so and rip,
but for now, I'd say go with egcs or pgcc. It's less
developmental than 2.8.1!

FWIW, I've been happy with pgcc 1.1.1 and will go to 1.1.2
once the pgcc patch is out.

--Jon, N9RUJ	jnieho38@calvin.edu	www.calvin.edu/~jnieho38
`finger jnieho38@calvin.edu` for geek code block.

But trust is the sound of the grave-dog's bark.
Trust is the sound of betrayal in the dark.
Trust is the sound of a soul's last breath.
Trust is the sound of death.