Re: MiniTerm

Subject: Re: MiniTerm

>On Sat, 10 Apr 1999, Fred W. Smith wrote:
>> Hi there!
>>
>> I was wondering if you or anyone knows how I can get a program called
>> MiniTerm. I have used the search engines and can only find a reference to
it
>> in How To debug 2 linux boxes and the instructions say that you can
compile
>> your own (which I don't know how to do).
>>
>> I have an accounting package that recommends using MiniTerm from the
system
>> prompt because it can give an ansi emulation for the accounting package
>> which you can't get from the system prompt.
>>
>> If you could point me to where I can get the program, I would greatly
>> appreciate it.
>
>As far as I can tell, the only program called MiniTerm out there for Linux
>is a sample modem terminal program shipped with the LDP's Linux
>Programmers Guide (http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP).  It doesn't appear to have
>any special features that other similar programs (such as MiniCom) don't
>have, and it is certainly missing many features that MiniCom has (such as
>dialing directories).
>
>Note that both MiniTerm and MiniCom are specifically for accessing systems
>over a dialup line or a serial port.  They are not for accessing systems
>over a network.  Most decent accounting systems are designed to
>be accessed over a network.  What accounting system are you using,
>anyways?
>
>Best of Luck,
>-Gleef

Thanks for your response!

I had made a mistake in calling it MiniTerm, it is in reality called
TinyTerm and I did find it at
http://www.midware.com/tterm.html . Unfortunately, these people think it is
made of gold at the price they want for it.

The accounting system I am using is Synchronics Counterpoint which has just
recently ported to Linux which is a major step for them. They are usually
the kind of software mfg. that says conform to us or else. I have used this
program for some time in a Windows Client/Server network and it is very
expensive so I am reluctant to quit using it. If I can make it work in
Linux, I will be very pleased.

They are the ones recommending TinyTerm because of it's particular ansi
emulation and printing capabilities. TinyTerm is for use on the Linux Box
itself or from workstations on the network. With-out some kind of ansi
emulation on the Linux box, the program won't work. So I will have to buy
TinyTerm or find a substitute that will work.

Thanks for your help very much.

Fred