Re: GNU Midnight Commander 4.5.30 is released

All this stuff sounds really great.  It's wonderful to see so many fixes, so much good work being done.  It's things like this that make me feel so excited about the possibilities of open-source.

I'm curious about a couple of things though...based on the quote below.  Can you tell me why you choose to work around problems in the GtkCList rather than working on the list control itself.  I assume I'm going to run into problems similar to this as I code and I might find your reasoning helpful in making decisions.  (This is the sort of thing that doesn't get taught very often in C++ 1002.)

>	- The list behavior has been sanitized and fixed.  We
>          basically override all of GtkCList's broken selection
>          semantics and implement our own.  The list now behaves just
>          like the desktop and the icon list (Federico Mena).

I sometimes find that I want to copy a file from one place to another and I can't remember the exact path so I'd like to use a file manager but gmc seems like overkill.  I wonder if you would ever consider having a gmc-lite version that only performs a small subset of the gmc functions.  Or do you think it would be better to have two (or many more) entirely different programs.  Or is my reasoning faulty?  If this seems valid I'll submit it as a wishlist item.

thanks,
Brady

"...the film is every bit as dauntingly abstract in its spasmodic hyperrealism..."
- Howard Hampton describing the movie "The Blade"