Re: Gnome starts very slowly

I posted about this myself a few times, but no one bit.

I've been having a similar problem. GNOME apps load verrrry sloowwwwly.
There's about a 5-10 second wait. Normal apps open fine. First I thought
it was my lack of esd, but then I installed it. Then I thought it was GTK,
but other GTK apps run fine.

> I'm sorry, it's impossible to help you without more information:
>
>   * What platform are you running on?  Processor? Operating System?
>     Version?
Running P5 133, Debian v2.1.
>   * What version of GNOME are you running?  What format did you get it in
>     (CVS, Tarball, RPM, DEB)?
Got it in a DEB packagefrom www.debian.org/~jim. It was an unstable
offering for Debian slink.
>   * How are you starting GNOME (gdm, xdm, startx, or running things
>     manually after X starts)?
My .xinitrc file says:

	icewm &
	esd &
	gnome-session

It behaves exactly the same when I use icewm-gnome, or when esd is not
loaded.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I like GNOME, but this is
very annoying and would like to resolve it.

- Bill