Re: [gnome-list] gnome vs. network

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Bobby D. Bryant wrote:
> Chuckles wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >         If I'm not mistaken this is a 'quirk' of RedHat's since 5.1.  I think
> > it's in RH's initscripts.  If your machine name isn't set or is set to
> > 'localhost' then the scripts will reset the 'HOSTNAME' to your dialup
> > address when it's assigned on login to a ppp account.  A fix is to just
> > add a machine name different from 'localhost' to /etc/hosts.  (ie:
> > 127.0.0.1       yourmachine      localhost    localhost.localdomain)
> >
> >         Though I don't know if this is proper syntax for /etc/hosts it works
> > for me and several other folks I know.  Now when I log onto my dialup I
> > don't have to deal with RH resetting my machine name to my dialup mask.
> > Setting a hostname in /etc/HOSTNAME never did work for me.  On login to
> > my dialup RH would change the hostname to the dialup mask.  Very
> > annoying!
>
> This doesn't seem to work for me.  I hung up, added "bogohost", deleted
> /etc/HOSTNAME, rebooted, and saw that /etc/HOSTNAME was set to
> localhost.localdomain.  But as soon as I dialed up again, it went back to
> dial*.edu.  Perhaps the mechanics have changed between 5.1 and 5.2?

There are two places to change it in Red Hat Linux, /etc/HOSTNAME and
/etc/sysconfig/network.  Changing both should do it.  I think the
"hostname" command changes both but I'm not sure.  Worst case scenario, if
you have to mess with things,
  /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/network-functions
is the script which actually changes the contents of /etc/HOSTNAME

Best of Luck,
-Gleef