Re: Window managers

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999 18:23:38 Sam Steingold wrote:

> this is totally bogus.  df gives me 6373004 "1k-blocks", with 70% used.
> No, 4MB is not too bad.  But if it gets bad, I don't want to go buy a
> bigger disk just because I need the extra 40MB which are wasted in 10
> junk packages.  Also, each extra package deteriorates the performance of
> RPM on queries.  Things like `rpmwatcher' (and rpm.lsp in
> http://www.goems.com/~sds/data/cllib.zip) download updates for all
> installed packages, including enlightenment, if it is installed.

Then don't install Enlightenment.  Install gnome-core with --nodeps

> I really don't understand why you cannot just introduce
> `gnome-compliant-window-manager' and be done with it.

Because it is a messy solution.  What if the user just installs "gnome-compliant-window-manager"
without actually installing a gnome compliant window manager?  What package(s) should
gnome-compliant-window-manager depend on?  Shouldn't a newbie reasonably expect that if he
installs gnome-compliant-window-manager then he shouldn't have to install other window
managers?

This solution is just plain nutso.

> this way you will be able to provide the user with the list of available
> window managers in the WM capplet - free bonus!

Already done.  This is what the WM selector does now.

Jesse D. Sightler
http://www3.pair.com/jsight/

"An honest answer can get you into a lot of trouble."
         - Anonymous