Re: GNOME Usability Improvements - Fix the window manager!

+++ Mon, Aug 02, 1999 at 11:04:26AM -0400 +++
Michael Fulbright e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.

> dmiller@ilogic.com.au said:
> >  IceWM and WindowMaker got to be very user friendly and GNOME
> > integrated all by themselves.

> Icewm does not have a GUI tool for configuring options like focus, keybindings,
> turning on/off cool features.

It has. It doesn't ship with it, but can be had from the IceWM WWW
site. Geez. You're from Red Hat, aren't you? At least the people who
package this stuff into distros should know about such things... but
there sure is a lot of Linux software out there, granted.

> It does seem to work with GNOME well (althogh
> it doesn't automatically remove its panel if it detects GNOME is running).
> Having to edit a text file to configure a window manager knocks it out of
> the running in my book if you want it to be easy to use and configure.
>
> Window Maker (I think the real name is the GNUStep window manager but
> people seem to call it Window Maker still)

The official name is Window Maker. GNUstep is something different, but
Window Maker is intended to be a part of GNUstep.

> requires quite a bit of configuring,
> not obvious to a newbie, to work well with GNOME.

A howto for this comes with Window Maker.

mawa
--
Teaticket, Massachusetts  |  Tightwad, Missouri   |  Hot Coffee,
Sleepy Eye, Minnesota     |  Peculiar, Missouri   |  Mississippi