Re: GNOME Usability Improvements - Fix the window manager!

+++ Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 10:38:33AM -0400 +++
jack wallen, jr e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.
> here's a bit more fuel for the fire:
>
> 	the printer applet really doesn't do anything - couldn't this be
> 	reworked so that it would tell you what is spooled and give the
> 	user the ability to cancel print jobs?  i'm not saying use it for
> 	setting up printers but controlling them.
>
> 	the rpm package manager grpm is fairly nice but, and this is a system
> 	issue i know, but only root can run it.  what good does it do the
> 	new user to have to be su'ing to root all the time when they are
> 	running a desktop machine at home.  now i don't mind.  in fact i
> 	like the security of it.  but a new user, coming from windows
> 	where dinner is just a click away, won't want to have to deal with
> 	these issues.

Maybe we should make substituting a user ("going root") easier,
provide a graphical (but bullet-proof audited) front-end to it, but
no way we should make a tool that will run setuid and by default be
able to trash system-wide configuration.

On a Unix machine, the user is not the administrator. On many
machines, they might be the same *person*, but they are different UIDs
and it's important for security to keep them separated.

mawa
--
When you think of Red Hat, think of Perrier (bottled water).  Water is
essentially free, or at least very low cost to produce.  Red Hat is