Re: Heh! Maybe I can help! (was: Icons)

+++ Sat, Aug 07, 1999 at 11:31:54PM +0100 +++
James Green e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.
> > Why isn't anything happening here along these lines? We once used to
> > have a list of "Icons That Have Yet To Be Made". What happened to it?
> > Why isn't there a call for artists? How does one submit icons to the
> > project? Is that possible or are all of Gnome's icons required to be
> > made by Tigert? When will Tigert next paint an icon? Next year maybe?
>
> I think most of my GNOME Foot entries don't have icons. A shame really :(

Exactly. And this has been like that for over half a year. It's not
only a shame, it makes the project look like "Hey! They're not even
able to cobble up icons for they friggin' foot menu!"

The trouble is that painting icons is harder than writing code. But
press people and other such nuisances don't know that.

> [ snip ]
>
> > I am not an artist. But if you think it's a good idea, I could put up
> > some kind of "Gnome Art Central", a place for submission of new icons
> > and such.
>
> I've been following some of your messages on the list for some time now,
> and it seems to me like you should take charge of a subset of GNOME
> organsational matters.

I feel flattered. But I'm not a coder, thus I'm without any prestige
whatsoever in the community, which makes me a pretty bad choice as an
organisator.

I have nevertheless done the frivolous act of posting a status report
on Gnome icons. Maybe I can coordinate some people who want to paint
icons, but don't know it yet. :)

> Obviously, Miguel cannot be expected to co-ordinate
> and approve everything (although he has been doing a great job imo), so I
> wonder if your enthusiasm should be canned and let loose in a more
> directly constructive role.

My enthusiasm is already pretty much canned in keeping the source tree
translated and keeping the translations committed, thank you... but
maybe you're right.

> "Gnome Art Central" sounds good. If you could somehow co-ordinate a few
> artists (assuming you wouldn't be stepping on anyone's feet of course) to
> least get icons for all apps in the gnome-* packages sorted we'd have a
> mostly-complete foot menu graphically.
>
> /"I'm no artist btw"/
>
> #include "stddisclaimer.h"

OK. Who's an artist? We need artists. I found out we need nearly a
hundred icons. Let's go.

mawa
--
>  Err...X isn't an OS and it never will be.
No, but it is pretty good evidence for why embedding a GUI in an OS is
neither necessary nor desirable.
                                                    -- Kent Paul Dolan