Re: [Suggestion] Formatting in GMC

On Sun, 8 Aug 1999, James Green wrote:

> Here's a suggestion for implementation in GMC or Son of GMC:
>
> I can select /mnt/floppy in GMC, so how about bringing up a menu with
> possible options including formatting of disks (DOS, VFAT, ext2, etc.)?

Nonsens. For formating or creating fs structure You must have root
privilidges or must have write permission to specified /dev/fd#.

Unices world use modularized model where each elementar job can be done
with separated command. Including device formating code in MC is completly
dumb idea. Also We can't expect that on all system normal user have
permission for formatting device or making on them fs structure (this is
big security risk) .. also remember that formatting and making fs
stricture is not non-root job.

Use fdformat from xterm or mkfs -t <fs_type> if You want to do format or
make fs structure on floppy (if You have permission) .. and allow stay
[G]MC as file manager.

kloczek
*Ludzie nie mają problemów, tylko sobie sami je stwarzają*
Tomasz Kłoczko, sys adm @zie.pg.gda.pl|*e-mail: kloczek@rudy.mif.pg.gda.pl*