Re: GNOME Usability Improvements - Fix the window manager!

On Sat, 7 Aug 1999, Ben Frantzdale wrote:
> Aside: I've always found that drag CD to trash incredibly counter
> intuative. My fave is the way dos/windows deals with its floppy. Saying
> "hey, give that back" If it isn't done writing, or "it's not there" if
> there's no disk, but otherwise not complaining.

About the drag-to-trash-to-eject: I recently read in an user-interface
book about this. The original designers actually didn't sit down and
decide that dragging the disc to the trashcan was a good model for
ejecting a disc. :-) The purpose of this action is to "throw away" the
internal directory cache of that particular disc. One person thought
that making the user do two things (throwing away the cache and then
ejecting the disc) for a mundane task was stupid and made the drag-to-
trash also eject the disc as a side-effect. People, when initially
faced with this, thought it was strange but after a while couldn't
live without it.

Well, maybe a "stop-using" droptarget would've been better... :-)

--
Per Erik Stendahl