Re: Um, hello;-}

Hi,
	Yes it took me almost a month to compile gnome.  However, I never
got an error like yours.  The reason it took me so long is because, first
of all, the order on the gnome-faq is wrong.  I don't know why anyone
didn't change it, but it doesn't work.  Here is an order that does work:

xscreensaver

glib
gtk+
ORBit
imlib
gtk-engines
audiofile
esound
fnlib
freetype
gnome-audio
gnome-libs
libghttp
libgtop
libxml
enlightenment

gnome-core
gnome-games
gnome-linuxconf
gnome-objc
gnome-pim
gnome-users-guide
gnome-utils

mc
control-center
enlightenment-conf
desktop-backgrounds

*** the following are not necessary, but recommended by RHAD ***

GXedit
ee
gdm
gedit
gftp
gnorpm
gnotepad
gnumeric
gqview
xchat

Not all of those files are necessary, or at least you would think not all
of them were.
It took me quite a while to find this order, but luckily a friend of mine
had it.  I didn't quite follow it because I didn't think it mattered.
You would think that the audio libraries or esd would not be necessary
because it is possible that someone might not even have a sound card.
  However I know from experience that gnome-control-center
does not compile if you do not have esd or audio file installed before you
install gnome-libs.  I don't know why, but it doesn't.
						Patrick