Re: Stability and Gnome's image among users

Hawlisch Martin a écrit (18.8.1999):
> On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Jacques Du Pasquier wrote:
>
> > I'm a bit suprised RedHat 6.0 made Gnome the default graphical
> > environment. As promising as it is, it's not really finished nor
> > stable yet, is it? I would love to see it get more stable and
> > generally used, but I fear that this first contact with it will leave
> > many RedHat users with mixed feelings. As a plain user, I can only
> > advise you to make stability a top priority for the next release, and
> > advertise it. It's probably needed to counter the image that has
> > developped these last few months in user's minds.
>
> If it is not running stable for you then submit bug-reports.
>  - >  http://bugs.gnome.org/Reporting.html

Yes. Really I was just submitting a general comment and encouragement.
Sorry if it's off topic.

If I may add one thing, note that, from a user point of view, you
notice general malfunction rather than individual bugs. When things go
wrong, it's difficult to identify the source of the problem, and so
the actual bug if there is one.

If everything works fine, and there is just one obviously abnormal
behaviour (like the alt-tab thing), it's easy to submit a bug even for
an end user. But it's not always the case here, at least for me.

I personnally wouldn't know where to start, and unfortunately I cannot
presently take the few days I'd need to sort it all out and submit the
useful 1 or 2 bug reports causing all my troubles, though I'd like to.

I understand the situation, and that's OK, and I'm not shocked that
what I thought would be a self-support user group is more like a
development coordination group, and I appreciate your good will to
help end users, too. I just hope you can make the thing work more
smoothly, and if you do that, that you say clearly that you did, so
that scared users come back.

Jacques