Re: Suggestion

* Bruce Tong (zztong@laxmi.ev.net) wrote:
> > > I can't believe that we are having this big discussion on this
> > > list because a person is lazy. And, as with most lazy people, he wants
> > > everyone to change how they do things (adding the [gnome] to the subject line ourselves or having it added to the list name) rather than doing something about it on his own ("you mean I have to read what the message is about?") Can we go back to a discussion on gnome? Please?
> >
> > Actually, I'm in the same situation as him and I'd also prefer the
> > [prefix]. That way I can tell at a glance if a message is for me
> > directly, or not.
>
> I do filter mail, and I could personally care less if there was a [Gnome]
> in the subject line or not. If it helps somebody, why not do it?

Although it is an easy thing for the maintainer to set up, most users
do _not_ like this feature. I am included. I use procmail to filter my
mail. I subscribe to a number of lists. A couple of those lists use
this feature. It is very annoying to enter a list folder, and see
nothing but the list name, obscuring the Subject line.

Also, on many mail clients, this feature ruins threading bu subject,
and other such features. There are also problems cross-posting
replies. Headers can often be screwed up, like

[Gnome] Re: Your message
Re: [Gnome] Your message
Re: [Gnome] Re: Your message
[Gnome] Re: [Gnome] Re: Your message

etc.

Believe me, more users detest this feature than like it. The
[ListName] feature is much more popular in the windows world, where
proper mail filtering is lacking.

Tom.
--
    .^.     | Tom Gilbert, England | tom@tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk |