Mis-located library?

I recently rebuilt gnome from tar files.  I did this on a Red Hat Linux
6.0 machine - and yes I removed the RPMs.  Everything seemed to work ok
- until I tried gnumeric.  When I start gnumeric, I get the following
message several times:

Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate loadable module in module_path:
"libpixmap.so",

Followed by the these messages:
Cannot read file /home/frank/.gnome/fonts/fontmap :
gzopen failed: No such file or directory
Opening 'book1.xls'  'Workbook' Excel 97 +
FIXME: unicode support unimplemented: truncating

** WARNING **: gnome_font_new_closest: font family Arial not found

Message: Font style created at zoom factor 1.0

** WARNING **: this should use a gnome-print provided method

I was able to locate libpixmaps in /opt/gnome/lib/gtk/themes/engines.
Is this the correct location?  Do I need to establish a link somewhere
else?

I do not have a ".gnome/fonts" directory.  Should I?  And if so what
should I put in it?

The "Opening.." and "FIXME" messages are from gnumeric and are OK at
this point according to Michael Meeks.

I also discovered that if I try to change my theme using the GNOME
Configuration Tool that I get a core dump for any theme I select except
the default.

Frank Chiulli
a GNOME newbie