RE: gnomepad is too slow (thread of Milestones document)

On 08-Dec-99 Andrew Post wrote:
> What X-server (driver and version) and windowmanager are the people
> experiencing this problem using? On what platform? I've never experienced
> this problem, so I'm wondering if these three factors have something to do
> with it.

        I have noticed this problem in gnotepad and spruce. I have
noticed it being slow on two systems. Here's a brief description of
each:

System 1)
        NEC Versa LX laptop PII/300MHz
        128 MB RAM
        ATI Rage Pro video, 4MB RAM
        Accelerated X server v. 4.1.2 (1024x768x24(packed))
        Redhat 5.2
        October GNOME with v. 1.0.54 gnome-libs and gnome-core
        Linux kernel v. 2.2.13

System 2)
        ASUS motherboard, K6/300MHz
        160 MB RAM
        Matrox G200 AGP video, 12MB RAM
        XFree86 SVGA server, v. 3.3.5
        RedHat 6.0
        October GNOME with v. 1.0.54 gnome-libs and gnome-core
        Linux kernel v. 2.2.9

        The laptop's GNOME was compiled using the configure/make/install
procedure, the other system's was built from the tarballs using RPM,
replacing the original GNOME that was included with RH 6.0.

        There's not a whole lot in common between these systems, other
than that they are both running the same version of GNOME, and RedHat
Linux. Both kernels were built from the standard source tarballs from
ftp.kernel.org.

Date: 08-Dec-99  Time: 13:30:03

Craig Orsinger                  (email: <orsingerc@epg-gw1.lewis.army.mil>)
Logicon RDA
Bldg. 8B28                      "Just another megalomaniac with ideas above his
6th & F Streets                 station. The Universe is full of them."
Ft. Lewis, WA   98433                   - The Doctor