CD players

Why are the available CD players so relatively feature-impoverished?

With the exception of CDDB (and the free equivalent), they don't seem
to offer much in the way of feature creep.  For example, one of my
physical CD players offers "favourite track selection"---since CDs can
be identified, it's possible to remember (for each CD) a set of tracks
that I like to listen to, and offer to play only those.

A software player ought to be able to do far more flashy stuff (I have
to program FTS(tm) by hand; a bit of software could (over repeated
playings) build estimates of the probability that I'd like to hear a
particular track---perhaps this could be keyed by mood (which I'd have
to give) or something).  But basic FTS would be valuable, I'd have
thought.

Why don't Unix CD playing programs do this kind of stuff?  (Or do
they, and I've just not tried the right ones yet?)