Re: Pixmap Themes too slow (was gnomepad+)

On Tue, Dec 14, 1999 at 11:29:28AM -0800, Craig Orsinger wrote:
> and it was slow once again. After looking at the gnotepad source a
> little bit, I tried substituting "GtkToolbar" for "GtkText". Sure
> enough, gnotepad was faster (though not quite as fast as it was with
> the screwed up version of gtkrc), but the pixmap was still visible in
> the toolbar.
>
>         This leads to my questions:
>
>         1) Why should this be? It appears that the toolbar widget is
> what Motif would call a container or manager widget, not visible, but
> it contains other widgets. Why should a style affect its performance?

It sounds like the GTK toolbar widget is also slowing things down a
bit.  With that in mind...

>         The new gedit (0.6.1) does not have this problem. I'm not
> picking on gnotepad here, it's just proven to be a handy example
> of this problem.

This is because gedit does not have as many toolbars as gnotepad has.
For kicks, you could try hiding the (big) html toolbar in gnotepad and
see if that helps.  (Though I don't know if GTK does the right thing
and does not draw to a widget if it's not visible.)

If it's really bothersome to you, and you don't use the toolbars
and/or HTML editing features, you can try rerunning configure with
"--disable-htmltags" and "--disable-toolbars", and then recompile.
This will simply leave out all the offending code which might be
slowing these down for you.  Caution: both of those options haven't
been tested in a while, and will break compilation.  Fortunately, it
is easy to fix (add appropriate #ifdef's).

Note that this only fixes a symptom of the real problem.

regards,
--andy