Re: esd

Hi,

>>>>> On Sat, 2 Jan 1999 14:37:09 -0500 (EST)
>>>>> Todd Graham Lewis <tlewis@mindspring.net> said:

 Todd> Of course, it would be _much_ more bandwidth efficient to do:

 Todd> 	cat file.mp3 | ssh -l user other.machine.name "(mpg123 -s - \
 Todd> 		| esdcat)"

 Todd> or something. (I don't use mpg123 or esdcat, so I'm not sure of
 Todd> the exact syntax of either.)

ESD already has hooks for compression. Implementing mpeg3 decoding, so
that you could simply tell the server that the sound format is mpeg3
and pipe that to it, would be really nice.

Although with your solution, you get additional security and privacy.

	Robbe

--
Robert Bihlmeyer	reads: Deutsch, English, MIME, Latin-1, NO SPAM!
<robbe@orcus.priv.at>	<http://stud2.tuwien.ac.at/~e9426626/sig.html>