Re: GTK version

Gleef <dzol@virtual-yellow.com> writes:
> On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, zipper wrote:
> > To all,
> >
> > get the latest CVS gtk+
> >
> > the changelog said is version 1.1.12
> > but when compile, it gimme 1.1.11
> >
> > somebody forgot the change the version no ?
>
> Same thing with me.   The docs say 1.1.12, the gtk-config says 1.1.12, the
> library gets installed as 1.1.11, and libgtop's configure script detects
> it as 1.1.11.  Whazzup?

Nothing.  Things are working fine.  Look closely: you'll find that the
new library has a newer micro version.  This is a way of saying GTK+
1.1.12 is binary compatible with GTK+ 1.1.11, all external interfaces
are the same.

To repeat what has been repeated many times all over: the library
major version has little to do with the version of the package it
comes from.

The library versioning used in gtk+ and glib is an attempt to try to
reflect the package version in a slightly more organized way.  For
package version x.y.z, the library soname will look like

	libfoo-x.y.so.z'.u.w

where z' is in less than or bounded by z.

- Hari