Re: Information: Midnight Commander crashes.

Good Morning Miguel and world.

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> Hello Dan, Hello gnome-users,
>     I have been investigating the crash reported by various people on
> the list about the misterious crashes of gmc when there are files
> found on the ~/desktop with strange names.

I don't know what counts for strange names, but I tend to keep my files
named pretty normal, and have wiped out the desktop directory just for
kicks.

> This is wrong, it should not be storing any information at all for two
> reasons:
> 	1. I compiled the expression with the REG_NOSUB option (which
>            according to botg the Solaris and the Linux man pages
>            causes regexec to only report true/false and not provide
>            any substring matches).

This is also true on the HP-UX man pages.

> Unless I am proved wrong, I believe this is a bug in your OS
> implementation for regexec/regcomp.

Well, the good news is I have gmc working now.  After reading your mail
last night, I checked and found a libc upgrade I didn't have with some
regexec/regcomp bug reports, but that still didn't fix anything (I think
the reg* bugs were fixed in an earlier patch I also had).

However, that got me looking at the code from mc/src/regex.c.  In there,
there are regexec and regcomp functions.  And as best as I could tell,
they were the ones being used.  At the bottom of regex.c, these functions
were wrapped in a

#ifndef emacs
#endif

preprocessor.  On the line right before ifndef, I defined emacs,
recompiled, and it worked.

I will admit I am not an expert in C, but it looks to me like gmc only
dies when it is using the regexec/regcomp that is built into the regex.c,
and my define forced it to use the OS versions, which in this rare case
seem to be working :)

Am I missing something obvious here?

	-Dan