Re: libaudiofile and mpeg audio

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999 raster@redhat.com wrote:

> ->  As far as I know there are two free Encoders available - bladeenc and
> ->  8Hz, but I'm not sure - must take a closer look on them first.
>
> there's free and there's free - let me keep it simple -f ro gnome's
> purposes free is LGPL for libraries not GPL - for apps it's GPL (or BSD
> / X-consortium) - same with libs - BSD and X-consortium woudl be Ok
> too. LPGL is what we want - BSD/X is more open. GPl is not good for
> libs.

Yeah, AFA I last checked, bladeenc doesn't release source, although the author
keeps threatening to, and the 8Hz folks HAD an OpenSource license, but yanked
the whole project off their site after Fraunhaufer(sp?) Institute sent around
threatening patent letters.

To the best of my knowledge, Fraun-whassit are attempting to enforce their
patents on the whole MP3 concept, and until that gets resolved, a properly
'free' MP3 system is not possible.  (Of course, it may not be possible even
AFTER it's resolved, sigh....)

R Pickett                Look around you. This is what the world
emerson@hayseed.net      looks like at the end of the millenium.