Re: My Little Wish List for Gnome

I had a similar idea to this as well, the main reason I dislike it is that
the system menu structure and contents are still being forced on the user,
for example if I wanted emacs in an "editors" menu instead of the
"applications" menu, or if I wanted to delete it completely, then merging
the two menus would be difficult (I think, not very tidy at least). But to
be honest I have no idea how the debian system works, so maybe they have a
way of doing it nicely...?

However, I hadn't really intended for there to be two menus in use, what I
was really thinking of was the current system menu becoming more a
repository where users could see what applications were installed on the
system and choose the ones they wanted to include on their menu. (of
course they could still launch stuff from the system menu if they wanted)
This way they get to choose exactly what appears and where it appears.

Another option might be to remove the system menu entirely and expand
gmenu's add menu command to give the option of selecting from the list of
apps that the system knows is installed (ie the system menu), but I think
there are some advantages to keeping the system menu around, so I don't
really like this plan.

Cheers,
Ian