Re: Gnome panel menus

There are a few reasons for choosing this approach.  First of all, by
having separate files for each menu entry, when I install the new GNOME
application gnome-xyz, it just has to install a single file for its menu,
rather than having to edit a menu configuration file.

Also, you may have noticed that if you don't have to restart the panel for
additions and changes to take effect.  Every now and then panel checks if
any .desktop files have been edited, and if so reloads them.

In case you are worried about speed, George is working on that.  So you
will probably find the panel menus will get better (personally, I see no
speed problems, but I haven't tried it on a slow machine).

James Henstridge.

--
Email: james@daa.com.au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/