Re: A random topic for discussion -- free software tackles GUI a

A person I met once was developing in Pascal some sort of acounting program,
for himself, as there wasn't any good one around.
What impressed me most was that not only was he a good programmer, but a good
designer on GUI's and usages. Everything in his program worked with the
keyboard.
He had the top and down arrow of the keyboard to circle up or down
through the 6/7 different screens the program was made off.
A right arrow press would put us inside the screen, a left arrow to exit it and
go to the left side menu.
He thought of this because for acounting there is a lot of typing to do,
and it was stupid for people to have to stop their work and
turn to their mouses every time they need to change menus.

Very slick interface also, no ugly 3d buttons,etc.
Eduardo

On 30-Jul-99 nelson-gnome@crynwr.com wrote:
> Federico Mena Quintero writes:
>  > >  The challenge is to make a GUI which can work solely from the
>  > >  keyboard.  Once you can do that, an automated test program is just a
>  > >  matter of generating sequences of keystrokes.
>  >
>  > This is obviously not sufficient.  Applications need different input
>  > devices, and the keyboard is not a panacea.
>
> For automated testing of *all* applications, you're quite right.  But
> pick J. Random gnome application, and I'll bet it doesn't have an
> intrinsic need for any non-keyboard input.
[snip]
POLI:Projecto Português de Documentação do Linux
http://www.poli.org