glib/gtk problem.

Simple question:

I just started to switch over to Gnome with Enlightenment as
the WM. Its up and running however when I go to compile any
new programs I get an error cannot find glib/gtk, which I
know are there. However when I try to update the gtk to the
newest version (im like 1 behind) I get an error cannot find
X? My system is freebsd 3.2. if anyone is willing to give me
a tip, maybe I need to link some more directories as I did
intialy with the set up, or im just over looking something
obvious.

-thanks...

r.a.