Re: File manager tree. [FEATURE REQUEST]

On Tue, Jun 01, 1999 at 05:01:41PM -0400, Andrew B. Arthur wrote:
> >From: Cory Watson <gphat@mail.cafes.net>
>
> > Coming in lte on this conversation, I may be mistaken, but are we
> > discussing what should be shown in the path view?  Why gussy it up with
> > file:// blah blah blah, why not give the user straight paths?
> > /home/joeblow, then they really know where they are
>
> That might be the most sensible thing to do, but then again maybe it would
> be better to just leave the URL bar of to minimize confusion. Since the idea
> is to maximize simplify, maybe a Window with simple menus and just the file
> listing would be most efficient.
>
> I understand that f*ing with URLs is a bad confusing thing, so it might be
> best to just leave from the Newbies eyes.
>
> I think simplicity is a important aspect here, but also not confusing users
> is an important part of simplicity
>
> Thanks,
>
> A_Arthur
> arthur99@global2000.net

Here's a crazy idea about this.  Split the location into two parts, one for
the protocol specifier (file:) and one for the rest, but if a full URL was
typed into either part, it would notice this and parse it properly.

--
Geoffrey Reedy			 Student Network System Administrator
vader21@imsa.edu		    Illinois Math and Science Academy

"Unix-to-Unix Copy Program;" said PDP-1.  "You will never find a more
wretched hive of bugs and flamers.  We must be cautious."
                -- DECWARS