Re: ppp problems

On Sat, Jun 12, 1999 at 02:21:40PM +0100, robin wrote:
> I have recurring problem with ppp in gnome. I use SuSE 6.0 but seeing as i
> could get the scripts that Suse supply to connect teliably and get dns to
> work. I stuck the settings in gnome-ppp . the script worked and i could
> connect successfully BUT DNS still did not work i changed a few things (dont
> know what) in yast and added some search domains in gnome-ppp. DNS started
> working . rejoice. It has now stopped working after I had another go at
> getting the ppp-up script working so i could connect using the modem lights
> applet (which is totally cool btw) now i cant dial out from linux at all
> because dns issnt working from gnome and if i use kppp in kde (which used to
> work) pppd dies on the connect signal.

Your /etc/resolv.conf file should contain the ip adresses of your
name servers. For a name server at 123.234.5.6, this file contains
a line

nameserver 123.234.5.6

So I suggest to look at this file while you are connected. I suppose
it's empty or not there at all. I don't know how this file is supposed
to be created. This used to be done while configuring ppp, but newer
versions of pppd can often obtain the DNS adresses from the ISP, and
the ip-up script in /etc/ppp might be responsible for putting these
in /etc/resolv.conf.

What *might* be the problem is that /etc/resolv.conf does not exist
at all, and that the script to configure /etc/resolv.conf does not
create one in this case. I believe this is the case with the example
script contained in the pppd distribution.

Ronald