guppi problem

As a biochemist, I have an intense interest in this program.  And yet I
have never been able to get it to compile.  I have been trying since the
first release.  Nevertheless, I got so close this time I thought I would
post and see if someone could help.

The primary failure this time seems to be related to the absence of
something called "guile-snarf" files.  These apparently have the file
extension ".x" If they are supposed to be with the source files, I can't
find them.

Anybody know what's going on?

I have a standard Red Hat install with the upgrades from
ftp.inconnect.com.  Goose and gnome-print compiled and installed without
a problem.

Tom