Re: true transparency

Eric Windisch wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 10:49:58 Jamin Philip Gray wrote:
> >For example, you'd see your gmc icons on your desktop
> > behind it, or an xscreensaver running on the root display, or
> > something, and you'd see windows that are behind it.  Is that
> > possible?
> >

> Very possible with the Xshapes extension, checkout these apps: Xeyes, blast, oclock, gqmpeg. The difficulty in doing so is that the Xshape extension would have to be applied to each character, which could require some serious cpu cycles. I have always wished it was done, but I think it would be much easier, faster, and better looking to grab a snapshot of the area  behind the window (this may require some wizardry if X handles windows the way i think it does) and wouuld allow for shaded windows as well.
>
> - Eric Windisch

	This is actualy done already, see the xscreensaver modules, some of
them like "Slidecsreen" do that. I don't know if it is fast enought.
Also there is the problem that the app would not be notified if
something behind it were altered. My intuition says that this would not
be such a big problem, unless you want to run a monitor program beneath
a term.

--
"You take the red pill and you stay in wonderland,
and I'll show you how deep the rabit hole goes", Morpheus.

[]'s Victor Bogado da Silva Lins