Window size

I've tried everything I can think of to get the main window to be the
right size, but nothing seems to work.  I've tried
gtk_widget_set_default_size(), set_usize(),
gnome_win_hints_set_expanded_size(), and a host of others.  When I
manually resize the window, it can't get any smaller than the size I'm
requesting, but it should start out that way?  This is the last pending
issue on my senior project, and I'd really like to get it finished.
Please Please send suggestions!

Thanks,

Chad