Re: Don't overlook Simplicity.

James Henstridge wrote:

>If it is possible to create a simple interface that does
>not limit functionality for experience users, then that is great.  It is
>not necessarily a good idea to go for simplicity where it limits
>functionality for more experienced users though.

    I quite agree. What I'm trying to say is that in the excitement of
creating a powerful interface for experienced users, it is possible to lose
sight of the point that experienced users have to come from somewhere.
    If there were some default settings (and yes, a wizard or two ) for
setting up things like ppp/ISP connection, folks on this list wouldn't have
to do as much hand-holding with newbies.  A choice between expert and
first-timer at the start of Gnome set-up seems not unreasonable to me.
    Is it really necessary, or good, for newcomers to have to serve a
lengthy
apprenticeship before they can really use Gnome? Dumming-down Gnome would be
extremely sub-optimal  (yes, I loathed that execrable paper-clip), but
expecting people to be experts before they get here seems a bit harsh.

Bob   rwsmith@cnw.com