Re: Some things GNOME really needs

Victor Bogado da Silva Lins <bogadofuture@openlink.com.br> writes:

>  Instead of having a auto-super-inteligent-wizard that gets a tar.gz
> and asks some questions and kabum it's installed. Why not follow the
> dos/windows aproach? We create a simple library/app that handle
> installation very easily. Each gnome application would bundle in a
> executable format that would execute and install the application.

Because:

	1) you'd have to run a /huge/ executable as root. Security
issue waiting to happen.

	2) you lose autoupgrading, dependency checking and
installation monitoring that RPM/.deb gives you.

	3) you end up with a subtly different installation procedure
for each application.

	4) you have deinstalls that should work (in theory) but never
quite do - bugs in the install wizards may have SEVERE side effects
and since every intall wizard is rewritten from the scratch (modulo
library), bugs remain plentyful.

I think dos/windows approach teaches us what should *not* be done.

--
I refuse to use .sig