Re: esd == bad_sound

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999 22:58:52 -0500 (EST), James Charles Lewis
<lewis1@expert.cc.purdue.edu> wrote:

>Maybe its just me, but doesn't esd's sound basically suck?
>
>I'm using mpg123 through esd, and there are always clicks and blips.  Even
>when mpg3's aren't playing, I can hear stuff clicking after sound effects.

esd is not 100% noise-free, but it doesn't seem any worse than /dev/dsp
directly.

esd does have some problems with changing sample rates - afaik it doesn't
do interpolation when resampling, which might explain it if you are
playing back sounds at a different sample rate than esd is talking to your
hardware.

Might want to get a bit more details on exactly which situations the
problem occurs in and how it manifests itself - a question I ask sometimes
is "what's the simplest possible way to reproduce this problem?"
-- Elliot
"In film you will find four basic story lines. Man versus man, man
 versus nature, nature versus nature, and dog versus vampire."
    - Steven Spielberg