Unknown library `applets'

Just downloaded Gnome 1.0 and installed everything up gnome-core.  When
compiling gnome-core, I get the following message during ./configure:

checking for working ORBit environment... yes
checking for gnorba libraries... yes
Unknown library `applets'

And then configure goes on its merry way.

I remember getting this error with gnome 0.99.8 and thought it was a bug
with the beta version.  The result of this error was that the applets
don't get compiled for the panel, and the "Add new applet" menu in the
panel is empty.

I compiled most of my stuff with the --disable-static flag to conserve
disk space (except where static libs were required, like in ORBit).
Otherwise I'm not doing anything too special to configure that would cause
wierdness like this.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

                          - Dave Finton

| If an infinite number of monkeys typed randomly at    |
|   an infinite number of typewriters for an infinite   |
|   amount of time, they would eventually type out      |
|   this sentencdfjg sd84wUUlksaWQE~kd ::.              |
|      Name:      Dave Finton                           |
|      E-mail:    surazal@nerp.net                      |
|      Web Page:  http://surazal.nerp.net/              |