Re: 1.0 tarball compile problem

Nils Jeppe wrote:

> OK I managed to transfer Gnome 1.0 to my machine (took forever) and am in
> the process of building it.
>
> imlib still doesn't like me.
>
> One: I get this warning. What's it trying to tell me?
> *** Warning: This library needs some functionality provided by -lz.
> *** I have the capability to make that library automatically link in when
> *** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
> *** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.
> *** The inter-library dependencies that have been dropped here will be
> *** automatically added whenever a program is linked with this library
> *** or is declared to -dlopen it.
>
> I have libz installed, definitely-

Yep.  This is a serious problem with imlib, one I just discovered myself.  In
trying to build gnome-libs-1.0.1 I kept getting errors from a link step where
it couldn't find -lz or -lpng or -lungif or -ltiff.  The reason appears to be that
when building imlib-1.9.[34], imlib at some step could not find those libraries,
and gave exactly the error you just noted, for each of those libraries.

I tried the usual moves:  building lib[z,tiff,png,ungif] from the latest downloaded
tarballs, from the SRPMS on RedHat 5.2, and building them into /usr/local/lib
or /usr/local/gnome/lib.  In all cases I put the library paths into /etc/ld.so.conf
and ran ldconfig -v and verified that they were found.  Yet still, imlib
complained.

What I just did, (and it worked), was to install each of  [libz, libtiff, libpng,
libungif]
from the RPMS on the RedHat 5.2 binary install cd.  This installs the libraries into
/usr/lib.  After running 'ldconfig -v', and rerunning ./configure in the imlib-1.9.4
directory, imlib built just fine, with no complaints.

I still don't understand it, but it is yet another example of the confusion that can
result, in both programmers and the OS, from using both RPMS and tarball
installs.  And I hope somebody fixes it, because I do want to be able to build
any libraries from sources.

John