Re: GNOME1.0 Probable Bugs & Questions

> --- 1) Since I've installed GNOME 1.0 two days ago I've undergone about a
> dozen sudden exits from X Windows. I'm left with a bunch of error messages
> such as "x io error" and a core file. Sometimes the core is from the gnome
> pager and other times it's from gnomecc.
>
> Has anyone had this happen to them?

I haven't had this happen to me really, but I will say that gnome-pager is
probably the least stable of all the applets.

> --- 2) Also, when I tried to add a menu entry using the menu editor with
> the title "KDE / KMail", instead of taking that string verbatim and
> putting it in the menu, it created the KDE directory and put KMail inside.
> Then the program goes haywire, everytime I hit save it creates another KDE
> directory. When I restart the menu editor any item I click on kills the
> program.

This is something quirky with GTK+ I believe.  GTK+ often uses the / to
mark a folder.  The menu editor isn't picking this up.  Try escaping the /
(ie instead of "KDE / KMail" use "KDE \/ KMail").

> --- 3) Enlightenment hotkeys randomly just begin to "not work". These are
> hotkeys for such things as raise/lower/maximize. They function for a time
> and then the window manager just stops intercepting them and pass the
> keystrokes along to the application. Something probably triggers this but
> I have no idea what.

This I have no clue on.  What version of E are you using?

> --- 4) Why is it that the Enlightenment hotkeys for virtual desktops don't
> work?!?! I hate pagers and rely on hotkeys to move me around desktops.
> This is not good ...

E doesn't setup virtual desktops in the default setup.  It has a 2x2
pager.  Use e-conf to add virtual desktops.

> --- 5) If GNOME 1.0 insists on using Enlightenment as the window
> manager ( I see no place in the GUI to CHANGE it ), why is it that
> there is no window manager configuration in the control center, but
> instead I have to use e-conf?

As I recall this was a minor foulup in the inst portion of control-center.
You're not missing anything though.  The control-center tool to config E
is just E-Conf in the CC.  As far as insisting on E, it doesn't.  There is
a Window Manager capplet in control-center that you can use to change WMs.
GNOME just has E set as the WM in the default session.

Hope this helps.

Marcus Brubaker
spoon@elpaso.net
http://www.elpaso.net/~spoon

"While I'm still confused and uncertain, it's on a much higher plane, d'you
see, and at least I know I'm bewildered about the really fundamental and
important facts of the universe."
Treatle nodded. "I hadn't looked at it like that," he said, "But you're
absolutely right. He's really pushed back the boundaries of ignorance."
        -- Discworld scientists at work
           (Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites)