Re: should I upgrade ?

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Richard Hult wrote:
> I think you are a bit confused ;) First, glibc2 and glibc2.1 are binary
> compatible. Second, gnome is dynamically linked, and will happily use
> the glibc2 that you happen to have. It should work with glibc2.1 as
> well, because of the binary compatibility.
>
> I have the gnome 1.0 rpms installed and most things work, but there are
> a few screwups. I suggest you wait until there are new packages out
> that fixes those problems (some with control-center and maybe some
> more).

Not so.  2.1 breaks a few programs.  They show up by either segfaulting or
failing valid crypt() for user authentication or one of a few other ops.

Notably, cucipop, proftpd, and sendmail are likely to exhibit wounds after
going from 2.0 to 2.1.

Simply recompile your apps that break.

-d
--
 This is Linux Country. On a quiet night, you can hear Windows NT reboot!
  Do you remember how to -think- ? Do you remember how to experiment? Linux