Re: Input Method of Gnome

"Hilary Cheng" <hilarycheng@usa.net> writes:

> As I concern,  how about the current X Application ? If we use backend XIM
> one,
> current X application maynot supported ( I donno whether it is correct or
> not).
> If Gnome got all type of application that we want, I think backend one is
> the best.

That's right.  But Niibe is not concerned about this and I tend to
agree.  We are mainly talking about GNOME applications here.  You'll
hopefully not have to use non-GNOME apps which don't bring their own
input-server handling with it.  The only non-GNOME application I can
think of is Emacs/XEmacs.

> My concern is, not all the current applications of X got source Like
> WordPrefect, etc. We can't modifty it to backend one.

Sorry to destroy your dreams but Wordperfect and all the rest of these
ex-Windows applications will not use the XIM X Windows methods and of
course also not the GNOME methods.  They use their WINE stuff which
must somehow be mapped to the Windows API.  There is not much room for
fancy X extensions.

And: of course you don't want to use WP in the first place.  Hopefully
Lyx or whatever will use Gtk soon and have everything you ever want.