Re: egcs problem

In message <36E99C47.155D27A2@ndh.net>, hhv <h.vossieck@ndh.net> writes
>James Green wrote:
>>
>> I've now successfully installed gtk+-1.2.0 from the tarballs
>> (/finally/).
>>
>> I have progressed through the gnome-tarball installation page on the
>> gnome website, and have installed egcs from the tarball, it works from
>> the command line too.
>>
>> Unfortunately, the gnome-objc configure doesn't see egcs. In
>
>What do you mean with 'doesn't see' ?

./configure

- checks for objc complier (egcs)...
- egcs not installed and is required

(Words to that effect.) All of which is rather annoying as I have only
today overcome the same problem involving imlib 1.9.4 not seeing
gtk+-1.2.0, and that I worked for over a week on :(((

Since both gtk+ and egcs (and a lot of other stuff for that matter) get
installed into /usr/local as per default, I would have though that
getting through GTK+ would prove all my paths were correct. Evidently
something is wrong.

> On my system egcs is installed as gcc.
>I think, configure looks for gcc or cc, and so it finds it.

I have no idea about such things. I just downloaded the entire egcs-1.1
tarball, configured, built and installed the thing per defaults. I ran
ldconfig -v to pick anything new up and then rebooted. Typing egcs --
version at the bash prompt gave me the current version number (AFAIK) so
I guess it's installed OK.

>> /etc/ld.so.conf I have things like /usr/local /usr/local/lib and so
>> forth.
>
>These paths are only for finding libraries, not compilers.

Help...
Please.
--
James Green