Unknown library 'applets'

        I have successfully compiled gnome-libs-1.0.1.tar.gz with no fatal
errors and I
recieved the standard warnings like "incompatible pointer type" and such.
However,
when trying to compile anything like libgtop, ee, balsa, gEdit and the like,
the configure
script tells me:
"unknown library 'applets'"

Why would this happen? I have compiled everything in order according to
instructions
on gnome.org. Also, i am having a problem compiling gnome-core. After
disabling NLS
to bypass an error about 'bindtextdomain', it exits with an error that it
has an undefined
reference to dgettext in libgtop.so