Re: Root Permissions

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999 22:59:33 Federico David Sacerdoti wrote:
> I agree that its important for users to be able to install rpms without
> hitting the command line. In fact, I believe that in the future there
> should be an even easier way to get packages from the net onto a GNOME
> system.
>
> Id like to see a tool that enables a user to not only install a new
> package but make a launcher for the application on the gnome desktop,
> either in the main menu or on the panel. Something along the lines of a
> windows "install shield" installer but done cleanly and with more
> flexibility.
>
> There needs to be a way for a kid to download an rpm package from a web
> site, mabe a cool new game or whatever's interesting, and be able to
> install it without su'ing to root, doing an rpm install, and playing with
> gmenu to get a launcher. The kid would like something simpler, a single
> tool that will do the job of installing the package and integrating it
> into the current environment.
>
> And being able to install an rpm with the DnD method described below would
> be a big first step.

Have you tried GnoRPM yet?  It already supports a significant part of what you suggest.
It doesn't grab root permissions if an ordinary user executes it, but it does allow
for searching the web to find RPMs and it will automatically generate a menu entry for
an RPM if you wish for it to.  I believe that it also supports some form of drag'n'drop.

Overall it is quite a nice program.

Jesse D. Sightler
http://www3.pair.com/jsight/

"An honest answer can get you into a lot of trouble."
         - Anonymous